Monday, December 28, 2009

Lacey's Update

Well, I went back to the doctor today for my scheduled MRI and was expecting OK news. I was prepared for a stress fracture and knowing I could be out of running for a few months, but then I was expecting by late spring to be lacing up my running shoes again.  I had my MRI at noon, they did a scan of my hips and my legs.  After the MRI, I met with my orthopedic doctor.  First, he told me that I had a stress fracture in my femur bone which is the bone that runs from your knee to your hip. The fracture is in the very top part of the bone closest to my hip, then he proceeded to explain to me I also had arthritis in my hip, that's where all the pain in my hip has been coming from.  I can remember before I started training for Boston, the pain that I would feel in my right hip after a run, I thought it was just IT irritation because shortly after the pain began I started having IT issues, but apparently it was the arthritis all this time... And, yes, I am 22 years old with an arthritic hip... SERIOUSLY??
He eased his way into explaining to me that I should give up the marathons, and most of the running all together.  He said running usually helps to prevent arthritis in joints, but if you do get it or already have it and begin running, then it speeds up the process of losing the cartilage in joints and makes the pain worse.  His recommendation was a couple miles at a time a few times a week, after the minimum of 6 weeks that I have to take off to let the stress fracture heal.  I didn't know how to take it at first, I heard what he was saying and understood it all, but never grasped it until a few hours after we left the office.
When I left the doctor's office, my mom and I had some errands to run and one of the errands was going by a running shoe store to get mom a pair of running shoes since she has recently started training to run a 5K.  I realized how I upset I was when I walked into the store.  Any day before today, it was so familiar and like walking into a store of close family members.  Today, I felt like a stranger.  Then, of course seeing all the upcoming race announcements that would normally challenge me and encourage me to register before I left the store just left an empty place in my heart.  I didn't realize until that moment how much running meant to me.  It has almost been like a best friend that I have taken with me through so many hard and easy times in my life.  Runner is an adjective I am most likely to use to describe what Lacey is.  I don't know what lesson I may learn from this, but I can only be eager to find out.  It's kind of scary wondering where I'll go from here, but that is what makes the adventure exciting and challenging.  I have a favorite bible verse that I couldn't resist from almost reciting throughout the day today.  It is Psalm 37:4 and says "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart".  A very dear former pastor of mine shared this with me a few years ago, and it instantly became a prayer.  If you aren't a runner, this all may seem so silly to you, but I'm sure it can relate in another aspect of your life.  I honestly believe I was meant to fall in love with running, without it my life would be so different today.  Finishing my first marathon gave me a since of pride and accomplishment I never thought I would have. Finishing the Boston marathon gave my testimony new meaning and witness of the amazing God we serve.  If it weren't for my passion for running, I would not have met the man I will call my husband in 73 short days.  I believe God gave me the desire to run, and I have been blessed by it. I must be excited to see what the future has in store.  My running shoes may never be laced up again for a marathon, but I will still treasure all the memories they have given me. 

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there girl! You have a lot to be thankful for. You may not have alot of gratitude today but you are a very lucky young lady! I'll keep you in my prayers. God Bless You! Venetia Varden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacey, you will be stronger through all of this! You had better start teaching body pump now and stay on the bike!! These things happen for a reason and you are so young just getting started! Wedding, babies, future still ahead! I know that you will find another way to express yourself and your blog is so beautifully written that I had tears in my eyes! Be grateful for what you have and who you are!

    ReplyDelete